Monday, April 20, 2009

A Wedding Story

Thirty-five years ago on this day my husband and I were married. I wore a dress that was made for me by a friend of my fathers. I purchased the fabric for my dress and my bridesmaid dresses at a salvage company called "Alaska Junk" and paid twenty four dollars for all of it! My father's friend made my dress and my bridesmaid dresses for me as a wedding gift,I still have the dress she so lovingly sewed for my wedding, I only wish I could remember her name.. My husband wore a Black tux and was given his grandfather's wedding ring, a few years ago he smashed his ring working and he had to cut the band off his finger. Now he wears a ring of his fathers. We were married in a small chapel,his parents, grandmother and sisters, my father and family attended along with many good friends. My mother had pasted away seven months earlier, I was very sad she wasn't there on this special day. My father walked me down the aisle and as I look back, I know it was probably very difficult for him to help me plan my wedding after losing his partner and love of his life. He did a great job and added so many wonderful touches to our special day. I remember standing in the front of the church and being very nervous. I remember focusing on my husband's face and on his every word, so I would remember my words. My sister Jan was my maid of honor and my cousin Cinda was my bridesmaid, my husband's friend Mike was the best man, Jopi was the groomsman. My cousin John and my husband's cousin Kelly held our rings. We were married at Twelve o' Clock in the afternoon. Our reception was held at his parents home, very simple and very magical,it was a perfect day. We enjoyed visiting with family and friends and eating all the wonderful food that was prepared for us. Before the day was over, we filled our van with all of the flowers from the church and drove to the little country cemetery were my mother is buried. As we began to drive it started to rain, and rain, and more rain............. we wondered if it was ever going to stop. Just as we pulled into the cemetery the rain stopped and the sky cleared with the most beautiful rainbow! We stood and looked at each other and knew my mother was watching and gave her blessing!!! Friends ask us what made our marriage last, I would have to say, we put each other first, and we talk alot and laugh even more! Have the last thirty five years been total bliss? I would have to say No. Has it been easy? I would say No, No,and No. But we have held onto the good times and made it through the most difficult times. We are both passionate about life, love, and our commitment to each other!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

The Monkey Momma said...

Hi Cousins ~

Love the blog and I still remember Steve and Glads wedding even though I was 5. Miss seeing you. Prayers to all of you.

Miss Kellee